Being a parent of a kid who is strong-willed can be both a blessing and at the same time a challenge depending on your perception; however, the following parenting tips will help you deal with these defying kids more easily. Their frustrating and stubborn personality of today gives them an advantage to be a confident and powerful individual in the future; so you need to learn how to educate and support them accordingly.
What are the parenting tips for these kids?
With sensitivity, compassion and expectation you will conveniently raise a strong-willed kid for a better future. Here are some of the best parenting tips and practices to adopt:
1. Balance personal authority with his/her independence. One of the main parenting tips for parents is to teach their kids adequate life skills that enable them to manage the everyday life challenges without any fear. Remember that strong-willed infants have a greater advantage than other kids due to their strength and independence, which make them ready to explore everything that comes in their lives. This will enables them to develop their potential in whatever they do thus becoming responsible citizens.
2. Be a detective. Many parents are often worried about their strong-willed kid’s behaviors without carrying out personal investigation on why they act that way. A useful parenting tip is to perform a thorough analysis of the kid´s behaviors, and then give guidance on the right steps that the kid should take.
3. Positive reinforcement. Make sure you complement anything good that your strong-willed kid does. Parents always want to nurture the good behavior that a kid possesses. Remember this parenting tip, you do not need to do an extraordinary thing to draw the attention of the kid. By doing so, you will enable your kid to be positive about whatever he or she does.
4. Never allow hitting. Some parents will hit their strong-willed kids instead of adopting parenting styles that motivate them. They must be in a position to correct the kids without necessarily resolving with physical punishment. Talk to your kid about his or her behaviors and explain the consequences that they will face if they fail to obey the set rules and regulations.
5. Understand that whatever a strong-willed kid wants is subject to the approval of the parent. Most of the strong-willed preschoolers often do not need their parent’s approval due to their independence and explorative nature. It is your parental role to give directives to your toddlers since failure to do so may enable them to do whatever they want which is dangerous. This way you will help them be responsible for whatever they do.
6. Speak less and act more. According to the latest research done by the University of Alabama, spending more time talking to a strong-willed kid enhances the risk of frustrating him/her, thus losing his/her attention. Whenever you are instructing him/her to behave or do something in the best possible way, keep it sweet and short. The more annoyed and frustrated moms and dads get while instructing a strong-willed kid, the more the kid feeds off parent’s energy with more conflicting issues that may result in parental failure.
7. Strong willed children need choices. Your strong-willed kid needs to feel he/she has control over his/her life. One of the best parenting tips is to allow your child a little freedom in controlling his or her life while you maintain overall control. This will enable you to avoid conflict that may irritate your child and result in highly temperamental issues. In addition, it will also bring issues of responsibility to the kid thus behaving well.
8. Enforce the consequences. Strong-willed teenagers will probably act in a way that enables them to exert their power at times. It is important to impose the consequences of violation of the set rules. By doing so, you will ensure that stubborn behavior does not derail the set rules as well as expectations, was well as enhance their positive behaviors by keeping the boundaries strong and well defined.
9. Let kids have their own feelings. This is one of the parenting tips of crucial importance that many parents overlook.It’s important for kids to be allowed to have their own feelings on a particular situation, but it is equally as important to be able to discuss both his or her feelings and your feelings with them, in a respectful manner. Open communication in this area can certainly enhance your relationship with your kid. Finally, remember that the line between a strong-willed child being a blessing and a problem is very thin.
Adopting these parenting tips can help you to guide your kid in the best way possible. Undoubtedly, the ultimate goal is seeing your child become a responsible citizen that will contribute positively to the development of your country and the world as a whole.
Stay tuned for more parenting tips in the next articles and enjoy our funny parenting quotes after a tough day.